About Me

My photo
Hyderabad, AP, India
I used to be a bit of a drifter, still am partly, but life is getting more and more organized recently due to a special someone. I love playing and watching cricket, I have recently realised that I have a very big interest in wildlife and birding. I work for a blue chip company. I am well and truly blessed! No complaints there :)

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Weekend visit to Pocharam and Narsapur

Recently, with the Independence day weekend around the corner, 4 of us (Ashok, Sasi, Rohit, and myself) drove down to Pocharam for a spot of birding and to generally enjoy getting out.

The drive to Pocharam is about 2.5 hours. You exit Hyderabad through Bala Nagar and the small towns you will touch on the way are Jeedimetla, Narsapur and Medak. Its a very decent 1-day getaway if you leave around 5 AM in the morning. The roads are actually very good all the way up to the Pocharam Wildlife Sanctuary, part of the Pocharam Dam.

You can find the map with the driving directions here.

We did manage to a fair bit of birding. For me the personal highlight was catching the Scaly Breasted Munia and Indian Silverbill for the first time on my camera. We also happened on some really dramatic landscape along the road and also in Pocharam due to the very heavy cloud cover that day. All pics from this trip below:



Here is the list of birds ID'd that day:
Scaly Breasted Munia
Indian Silverbill
Grey Heron
Painted Stork
Ashy Crowned Sparrow Lark (M/F)
Green Bea Eater
Brahminy Kite
Black Kite
Cattle Egret
Large Egret
Median Egret
Baya Weaver
Purple Rumped Sunbird
Indian Roller
Spotted Dove
White-throated Kingsifher
Drongo
Cotton Teal
Lesser Whistling Teal
Short toed snake Eagle
White Bellied Drongo
Shikra
Pied Robin (juv)
Common Sandpiper
Paddyfield Pippit
Red wattled Lapwing
River Tern
Ashy Prinia


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment